All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all creation—and may He extol the Messenger in the highest company of Angels, and grant him peace and security—likewise to his family, Companions, and true followers.
[09/06/2023] “A Man Is Upon the Religion of His Close Companion…” – By Abu ‘Abdir Raḥmān Hilāl حفظه الله. Masjid Salafi, Small Heath, Birmingham, UK.
Some points discussed during this lesson:
- Imām aṭ-Ṭabarī (رحمه الله) on the verse, “O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has come to you Our Messenger (Muḥammad ﷺ) explaining to you much of that which you used to hide from the Scripture and passing over (i.e. leaving out without explaining) much. Indeed, there has come to you from Allāh a light (Prophet Muḥammad ﷺ) and a plain Book (this Qur’ān).” [Sūrah al-Mā’idah 5:15]
- Benefits from the ḥadīth, “A man is upon the religion of his close companion, so one of you should look to who he takes as a close companion.”
- The meaning of ‘khalīl’.
- Statements from the Salaf regarding judging a person based on his companionship.
- Ḥasan al-Baṣrī (رحمه الله) on the believer being a mirror of his brother.
- Ibn al-Qayyim (رحمه الله) on six things accompanying the righteous diverts from and leads to.
- Shaykh Ibn Bāz (رحمه الله) on the qualities of a true brother.
- Shaykh ‘Abdullāh al-Bukhārī (حفظه الله) on the three conditions that should be present in your companion:
- He is a person of Sunnah and is not upon innovation.
- Benefits from the treatise of Shaykh Rabī’ b. Hādī al-Madkhalī (حفظه الله) titled The Warning of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamā’ah from Associating and Mixing with the People of Desires and Ahlul-Bid’ah. [Translation by Abū Khadeejah (حفظه الله) available here: https://abukhadeejah.com/ahlus-sunnah-the-salafis-warn-from-associating-and-mixing-with-the-people-of-desires-the-innovators-by-ash-shaikh-al-allamah-rabee-al-madkhalee/]
- Ibn ‘Abbās (رضى الله عنه) on the effect of sitting with the people of desires.
- Examples from Muḥammad b. Sīrīn and Ayyūb as-Sakhtiyānī (رحمهم الله) regarding how we should deal with the people of desires and innovation.
- Imām al-Awzā’ī (رحمه الله) on the one who sits with Ahlus-Sunnah and Ahlul-Bid’ah.
- Al-Khaṭṭābī’s (رحمه الله) explanation of the ḥadīth, “Do not accompany except a believer, and none should eat your food except one who fears Allāh.”
- Strong words from Shaykh Rabī’ (حفظه الله) warning against trusting Ahlul-Bid’ah.
- The story of how ‘Imrān b. Ḥiṭṭān became a Khārijī after being from Ahlus-Sunah.
- Examples of two scholars of Ḥadīth who fell into the snares of the people of misguidance.
- A method employed by the people of desires in this time.
- An athar regarding Imām Aḥmad’s (رحمه الله) stern warning against al-Ḥārith al-Muḥāsibī that highlights the importance of referring back to the ‘ulamā who have experience and know the true affairs of the people.
- He possesses intellect.
- The ill effects of accompanying those who are foolish and do not have intellect.
- Ibn Ḥibbān (رحمه الله) on the obligation of not taking foolish individuals as companions.
- He has good manners.
- Striving to adorn oneself with the best of manners and refrain from evil manners and lowly affairs.
- Āyāt regarding the regret and enmity on Yawmul-Qiyāmah of those who had evil companions.
- ‘Alī b. Abī Ṭālib (رضى الله عنه) on the outcome of companionship for the Sake of Allāh vs companionship that was not based upon the ḥaqq.
- Reflecting over ourselves and our companions to determine whether we are good or evil companions.
Polite Request: We have made these audios freely available ― We request that you donate the amount of just £2 or $2 (or more) as a Sadaqah to the Salafi Bookstore and Islamic Centre so they can continue their work to print and distribute free audios, leaflets and booklets to aid the da’wah of Ahlus-Sunnah and Hadīth across the world. And please make du’ā to Allah that He continues to aid and strengthen this blessed da’wah.
Please leave a comment below after listening to this audio, and make sure to share. May Allah bless you.