All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all creation—and may He extol the Messenger in the highest company of Angels, and grant him peace and security—likewise to his family, Companions, and true followers.
[01/10/2022] The Hardness Of The Heart – By Abu Hakeem Bilāl Davis – Markaz Us-Sunnah Conference | London.
Some points discussed during this lesson:
- The capital of the believer.
- Benefits from the āyāt, “Never did We send a Messenger or a Prophet before you but when he did recite the revelation or narrated or spoke, Shayṭān (Satan) threw (some falsehood) in it. But Allāh abolishes that which Shayṭān (Satan) throws in. Then Allāh establishes His Revelations. And Allāh is All-Knower, All-Wise: That He (Allāh) may make what is thrown in by Shayṭān (Satan) a trial for those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy and disbelief) and whose hearts are hardened. And certainly, the Ẓālimūn (polytheists and wrong-doers) are in an opposition far-off (from the truth against Allāh’s Messenger and the believers). And that those who have been given knowledge may know that it (this Qur’ān) is the truth from your Lord, so that they may believe therein, and their hearts may submit to it with humility. And verily, Allāh is the Guide of those who believe, to the Straight Path.” [Sūrah al-Ḥajj 22: 42-54]
- The three types of hearts mentioned in these verses.
- The type of heart required for knowledge and guidance to be accepted.
- Āyāt regarding the hardened heart.
- Imām al-Qurṭubī on the meaning of a heart being hard.
- Reflecting upon ourselves and the state of our hearts.
- When the heart is at its absolute worst.
- Some causes of the hardness of the heart.
- Ghaflah (heedlessness).
- The difference between ghaflah and jahl (ignorance).
- The difference between intelligence and understanding.
- The outcome of those who turn away from the remembrance of Allāh.
- Sins and disobedience.
- It is Allāh who inspires the servant to make tawbah.
- A sign that the heart is sick and dying.
- The humiliation that comes with persistence upon sin.
- The attitude we should have when overcome by calamity.
- Sa’īd b. al-Musayyib on the meaning of ‘al-Awwābīn’.
- Negligence concerning that which Allāh has made compulsory upon us.
- The reason Banī Isrā’īl were cursed and their hearts became hard.
- Being busy with the affairs of the dunyā.
- The key to success as it relates to how we approach the dunyā and wealth.
- Incessant hope for long life.
- An emotional reflection upon the journey of the righteous soul after death.
- Abundant mingling and mixing with the people.
- Al-Manāwī on the inescapable, evil effects of mixing with the one who has no fear of Allāh.
- Not being merciful to the creation.
- An example of the mercy of the Messenger ﷺ.
- Al-Manāwī on the actions and characteristics of the one who is void of mercy.
- Blind/rigid following of an opinion.
- Innovating in the dīn.
- Oppressing others.
- Mālik b. Dīnār on four things that cause a person to be wretched.
- Sahl b. ‘Abdillāh at-Tustarī, Ḥudhayfah al-Mar’ashī and Mālik b. Dīnār on the calamity of hardness of the heart.
- The worst punishment placed upon a servant.
- Four things that cause hardness of the heart if done in excess.
- Characteristics of the hearts that are most beloved to Allāh.
- The fruits of busying our hearts with Allāh and the ākhirah.
- A sign that Allāh loves a servant.
- The defects of the heart and how to rectify them.
- A warning against being heedless regarding Allāh.
There are many married sisters who have become young mothers, whose husbands have jobs and careers and they feel like failures. They compare themselves to their age-mates who have degrees and careers and ask their husbands to allow them to study in free-mixing environments that lead to work in free-mixing places due to them chasing dreams, regardless of what their husbands’ wishes are. What is your advice?
Polite Request: We have made these audios freely available ― We request that you donate the amount of just £2 or $2 (or more) as a Sadaqah to the Salafi Bookstore and Islamic Centre so they can continue their work to print and distribute free audios, leaflets and booklets to aid the da’wah of Ahlus-Sunnah and Hadīth across the world. And please make du’ā to Allah that He continues to aid and strengthen this blessed da’wah.
Please leave a comment below after listening to this audio, and make sure to share. May Allah bless you.